Hollywood takes off



Hollywood incorporated in 1903, and they were their own little town until a lack of water became a issue - in 1910 they were annexed into the city of Los Angeles, which had plenty of water.
In 1911, the Nestor Company opened Hollywood's first film studio in an old tavern on the corner of Sunset and Gower. Not long thereafter Cecil B. DeMille and D. W. Griffith began making movies in the area - drawn to the community for its open space and moderate climate.

Needless to say, there were some radical changes - clashes between the older and new residents - Acres of agricultural land south of what-is-now Hollywood Boulevard were subdivided and developed as housing for the enormous numbers of workers that movie-making required.

 High-rise commercial buildings began to spring up along Hollywood Boulevard - real-estate interests caused concentrations of development at Highland, Cahuenga, and at Vine. It wasn't long before nearly all the homes along the Boulevard were replaced by commercial buildings linking the three corners.

Banks, restaurants, clubs and movie palaces sprang up, catering to the demands of the burgeoning film industry during the 1920s and 1930s. The architectural styles of the buildings were representative of those most popular between the World Wars. Banks were typically designed in the more formal Beaux Arts styles, but other buildings in the community took on more playful personalities.

The ornamental Spanish Colonial Revival style reflected Hollywood's self-conscious extravagance while the new Art Deco and Modern styles fit the community's aspirations for glamour and sophistication.

references;
 http://www.historicla.com/hollywood/history.html
http://users.humboldt.edu/ogayle/hist383/Entertainment.html

No comments:

Post a Comment