With a few basic, inexpensive ingredients, you can make a plain yellow cake which can then be "dressed" for any occasion by choosing different flavors and textures of frosting. Not only does making this cake from scratch save money over buying a cake mix, it's moist, delicious and tastes great.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F/190 degrees C.
- 2. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Use butter or a light vegetable oil.
- 3. Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- 4. Add sugar and butter to mixing bowl and beat well. Mixture will appear dry and crumbly.
- 5. Add egg. Beat the mixture until the egg is fully incorporated.
- 6. Add vanilla and continue mixing.
- 7. Beat in 1/3 cup milk into the mix.
- 8. Gently stir in about 1/3 of the flour/baking powder mixture. Take care not to stir too vigorously at this stage to keep your cake tender.
Repeat steps 6 and 7 until all the ingredients are blended.
Pour into a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until cake tests done. Insert a toothpick, wooden skewer or cake tester into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean or with only a few small crumbs on it, the cake is done. If not, put it back in the oven for another 4-5 minutes.
Frost as desired.