If you've ever been to Hawaii, you probably already know their love for Spam. They love it and refer to it as Hawaiian Steak! The residents of the state of Hawaii and the territories of Guam and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands consume the most Spam per capita in the United States. On average, each person on Guam consumes 16 tins of Spam each year. They serve it in McDonald's restaurants - Burger King began serving Spam in 2007 on its menu to compete with the local McDonald's chains.
So obviously we here in the mainland, look at Spam in a whole different light - we made jokes about - swear we will NEVER eat it.
Okay but it's there in your food bank bag - now what? Think Hawaiian and eat the Spam! It won't kill you!
Spam Jam Waikiki 2012
The Hawaiian specialty is Spam Musubi - I found this off hawaii.edu website and it was just too cute not to share. It is written as if speaking Hawaiian Pidgin English.
Submitted by: Baron Fujimoto - This was written in response to a thread in alt.culture.hawaii years ago when folks were asking about how to make spam musubi and I was thinking, "chee, not exactly rocket science..."
- cook rice (da sticky kine),
- make 'em into one spam shaped block about 1"-2" high,
- t'row one slice fried spam on top, and wrap da buggah wit' nori.(seaweed)
- Da only hints I can 'tink of is,
- try wet yo' hands and put little bit salt on top when you stay making da musubi shape wit' da hot rice,
- and toas' da nori little bit first.
- Use da spam can and use fo mold for da rice.
- Den da slice of spam goin' fit perfect on top.
- If you can fin' furikake out dea, mix it in da rice firs.
Spam Musubi Recipe Links:
How to make Spam Musubi