After weeks and weeks of beautiful sunshine and mild temperatures, yesterday and today we were blessed with rain here in Northern California. We really need it.
Of course a rainy day conjurers up for me, cravings for comfort foods - like soups and chili. I figure I don't have too much time left before the 100+ temps hit and soup and chili just doesn't do it for me.
This is my 3 Bean-Protein Chili for a rainy day - (low-Carb and high in protein)
- to taste - spices - I used
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
4 tbsp. chili powder
a pinch or so of sugar
1 tbsp. oregano
- spray Pam - olive oil
- 1 lb. beef - ground (95% lean)
- 1 can of tomatoes - diced with juice
- 1 can of black beans -
- 1 can of pinto beans-
- 1 can of kidney beans
- As much garlic as you like
- 1/2 to 1 whole onion (depending on your taste)
- 1-2 celery stalk(s) * forgot to add this last night
- 1/2 pepper(s) - bell (green - medium)
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, saute garlic, onion, celery, or bell pepper with your favorite spices in Pam.
2. Add in ground beef and cook through. Stir in diced tomatoes with all of the juice, black beans, pinto beans, and kidney beans. Stir together and cook until bubbly.
3. Top with shredded cheese. Tip: 1 oz. shredded low fat Cheddar cheese is 1/4 Cup
Serve with rice if you are NOT counting carbs - I did have about 20 tortilla chips with my
one bowl and I didn't have the cheese.
It was hard because I wanted MORE! I did heat up some for lunch today!
Today I made a Vegetable Beef Soup - heavy on the lean beef with lots of veggies. (corn, green beans, carrots and spinach) The only carbohydrate was the corn and I did include 2 diced potatoes. I added some barley too.
photo credit: Ken-ichi via photopin cc