I just read the article, "Definitely buy these 15 things at a dollar store" and wanted to throw my 2 cents in.
When I was a kid, we used to have the Five and Dime Stores and other like stores, called, Variety Stores. Boy does that "date" me. I guess it depended on which area of the country you lived in, whether you called them Five and Dime or Variety. I loved these stores as a child, because they were the only ones I could afford to buy anything with my allowance. I think I got something like .50 a week! Sometimes I would not buy school-lunch, just so I could have more money to spend at the five and dime. Mom got smart and started buying it by the month!
ANYWAY, I love these types of stores. Yeah yeah, I know most of it is junk. What can I say? I like junk. No really - you can find some good deals and the following is my list of what is safe to buy.
1. Gift cards - 2 for a dollar. If you are really into the expensive Hallmark then go for that, but as for me - a card is a card. Most of the time, I don't even DO cards. Now that's cheap! But when I have to, I'll buy them at the 99 cent store or the Dollar Tree. They are fine and do the trick and anyway, 99% of most people, throw them out eventually anyway. *
2. Gift bags. These are a steal. They have so many of them and quite frankly I do not see that much of a difference. I think it's crazy to spend any more than $1.00 on a gift bag. I mean, WHY?
3. Party-type stuff - from plates to plastic ware that looks like silver. Not to mention, serving containers that if you forget and leave them, it's no big deal. Bowls, trays, plastic deviled egg holders. I don't know about you, but I make deviled eggs maybe once a year. Why do I need anything more than what they offer at the dollar store? Invitations and even party favors for the kiddos. Check the balloons they have there too.
4. Seasonal decor - There is a lot to celebrate when you buy from the dollar tree. Every month, there are new and different seasonal
5. Glassware - I did purchase some cute coke glasses that actually look like a coke can. I never seen them anywhere else.
6. Sunday school or preschool workbooks, posters, games, puzzles etc. I used to buy those little 45 piece puzzles for the 4 yr old, when I was a Nanny.
7. Pens and permanent markers - the same brand I see at other places for a lot more!
8. BBQ lighters - My electric ignition went out on my gas stove so I need the long handled lighters to light the pilot light. Now sometimes, you may get a "dud" but after a few years of making my cheap purchase I have only had 1 dud.
9. BPA free plastic ware from rubber-made and Betty Crocker. I've bought spoons, spatulas, cutting boards with the Betty Crocker label. Great for camping and storing in your cabin, or RV or if you are young and starting out. Just make sure they are the BPA free. They do mix them in with the good stuff, so it's up to you to read and find the good ones.
10.Cleaning products. I am a bit picky with my cleaning products, but have on occasion, made a purchase. They do sell Mr Clean (always been a fan of Mr Clean) and some brand name products.
I am sure I will think of more, but there you have my list. What is on your list to buy?
*That's my statistic <smile>